A new lesson plan - A new challenge

Teaching is always considered to be one of the noblest profession. The commencement of a new academic year sets forth new challenges in learning and teaching. Every single teacher has something new to teach, something new to learn as well. An entry into the teaching fraternity isn’t as easy as it seems. Understanding the information and interpreting it to the students requires a lot of vigilance, patience and dedication. The most common scenario found with the new teachers is the challenges that they face in creating the lesson plans. This could be due to lack of confidence and experience which is quite understandable. Creation of a lesson plan involves a lot of planning, organizing and executing.

Image source : pcria.org
Image source : pcria.org
You can always refer to the format used in the school for creating a lesson plan. If you wish to resort to your own plan then you will have to create one for yourself. As stated above planning is one of the vital step involved in the creation of a lesson plan. Ensure that you spend a reasonable amount of time on the content. If you are willing to add up updates in the original content, then you can spend around 60% of your total time on the content. You can dedicate the rest 40% of the time on creating discussion topics, assessment and practice aids that can help the students in processing and retaining the information taught in the classroom setting.

Every lesson plan is based on the duration of the class period. Ensure that you present the content before the students through your teaching for 70% of the time in the classroom. The rest 30% time can be spent on processing the information learnt in the classroom. For instance: If the duration of a classroom period is 45 minutes, ensure that you teach the students for a span of 35 minutes and give 10 minutes for processing the information. You can design some activities in the form of a quizzes, questionnaires or worksheets with match the following option. You can assess the activities later and that helps you to understand how much information is retained by the students in the classroom session.

Ensure that all the students pair up for the activities. Such activities also teach them about working as a team. You can also ask the students to pen down the pros and cons of the topic taught in the classroom. This can work as a feedback on your teaching strategy. You may have to spend more time on the content but if students are able to retain the information, then your efforts in teaching have paid off. Most importantly, you have to remember that with the power to create the content you have a great responsibility; the responsibility of the students too.