The outbreak of World War II wreaked havoc in the whole world. The enormous amount of devastation cannot be expressed in words. Millions lost their lives and their loved ones. Several others were left homeless. Cries, screams, screeching echoed in the air while the grounds were rinsed with red blood. The post war scene was so horrific that it ashamed the spirit of humanity. It was quintessential to have an international agency to succeed the inefficient League of Nations that failed in preventing World War II. It was at that time The United Nations Organization came into existence on 24th October 1945. The main objective behind establishing this international organization was to maintain international peace and security. Other functions included promotion of human rights, addressing social economic and environmental issues, rendering humanitarian*humanitarian*
➤ (n) someone devoted to the promotion of human welfare and to social reforms
➤ (n) an advocate of the principles of humanism; someone concerned with the interests and welfare of humans
➤ (s) marked by humanistic values and devotion to human welfare
➤ (a) of or relating to or characteristic of humanitarianism
…by BeeDictionary.com aids during natural calamities globally.
There were merely 51 nations that took up the membership of UNO when it was established. Today, the number of nations has risen to 193. The year 2001 brought laurels to the organization when it was rewarded with the Nobel Peace Prize for its work.
The UNO has 6 main organs to function on international platform
- The General Assembly: The prime deliberative policy making organ that represents the UNO in most of the cases.
- The Security Council: The primary focus of this organ is to determine various aggressive occurrences and threats to international peace.
- *The Economic and Social Council *(ECOSOC): This organ emphasizes on development of economic and social co-operation among the nations of the world.
- *The Secretariat *: This organ is responsible for monitoring, regulating and coordinating the overall activities of the UN under the leadership of the Secretary General of the UN,
- The International Court of Justice: It is the prime judicial organ to resolve international disputes.
- The Trusteeship Council: This organ has been inactive since 1994 as all the trust territories governed by it attained independence.
There are numerous System Agencies of the UN. They are named as follows:
- The World Bank Group
- The World Health Organization
- The World Food Programme
- UNESCO (The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization)
- UNICEF (The United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund)
The noble thought of preventing wars and maintaining peace shall continue forever.