A learning disability is a neurological disorder occurring as a result of disruptions in the normal functioning of the brain. Most of the students with learning disabilities may encounter several difficulties when it comes to reading, reasoning, writing, retrieving, spelling and structuring information received. These kids are uniquely blessed with exceptional hidden talents and therefore termed as ‘differently abled’. It has to be borne in mind that none of these learning disabilities can be completely cured but can be treated and managed. With due medical intervention and support many children have successfully carved their careers.
Every child is unique and so is every mind. Several renowned personalities and artists have overcomed their learning disabilities to have a successful career ahead. Albert Einstein, Agatha Christi, Pablo Picasso, Walt Disney are a few known names who suffered from some of the learning disabilities.
Here is a list of a few learning disabilities that includes auditory and language disorders too:
- ADD/ADHD (Attention Deficit/ Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder): A child suffering from this disorder finds it extremely difficult to concentrate or focus on anything. Most of the children with this disorder are extremely hyperactive and cannot control it.
- Dyslexia: This disability affects the reading skills and also the language processing skills of a student. The student finds it extremely difficult to decode what is read. Moreover, one can find numerous discrepancies in the reading patterns, spellings, syntax, writing and retrieving too. It has been categorized as a Language Based Learning disability.
- Dyspraxia: A child with this difficulty often loses the control of his/her muscles. Therefore such a disorder can cause a lot of hindrance*hindrance*
➤ (n) something immaterial that interferes with or delays action or progress
➤ (n) any obstruction that impedes or is burdensome
➤ (n) the act of hindering or obstructing or impeding
…by BeeDictionary.com in the movement leading to accelerated learning issues due to lack of co-ordination of muscles. Speech, language and related skills are affected as a result.
- Dyscalculia: A disability that hampers the understanding of numbers and mathematical concepts in a person is termed as Dyscalculia. Children often struggle with mathematics, mathematical symbols, number patterns, structure of numbers and so on. Children suffering from this disability often refrain from counting, memorizing and understanding time and date.
- Dysgraphia: This is a disability that hinders fine motor skills and writing ability in a child. The child may fail to understand spellings, line spacing, word spacing and writing. The thinking and writing of the child may not co-ordinate.
- Auditory Processing disorder (APD): Another name for this disorder is Central Auditory Processing Disorder. This disorder hampers the understanding of sound. This is mainly because the brain fails to decode and understand the sound waves that travel through the ears to be processed by the brain. The children with this disorder fail to understand the direction in which the sound is travelling.
- Language Processing disorder (LPD): It is a specific kind of Auditory disorder. This disability includes difficulty in relating to the meaning and interpreting the sounds of words, stories and sentences.
Non-Verbal Learning Disabilities: This disorder is characterized by a lot of discrepancies in social, motor, visual –spatial skills. Any child with this disability cannot interpret the body language and facial expressions of others.
This is not a conclusive list of the learning disabilities. There may be a few more to be added to the list. You can also tell us a few more of them through your valuable comments.